The town of Eliot was once a part of the Piscataqua Plantation, which also included Kittery and the Berwick’s.
In 1639, the land between the Piscataqua and the Kennebec Rivers became the Province of Maine by order of England’s King Charles.
In 1647, the Piscataqua Plantation became the town of Kittery, the first town to be incorporated in Maine.
On March 1, 1810, the North Parish, known as the “Garden of Kittery”, became the town of Eliot.
Over the years Eliot residents worked in maritime occupations, ran grist and saw mills, framed, built ships, and labored at brick making.