KEEPING THE PAST ALIVE
OPEN HOUSE SCHEDULE AT the #8 SCHOOLHOUSE
The Eliot Historical Society announces their summer schedule of open house events at their restored one room schoolhouse. The District #8 Schoolhouse on Greenwood Street will be open on the last weekend of each month beginning in May on the 26th, 27th, and 28th and going through Eliot Festival days on the last weekend of September. The doors will be open from 11am to 2pm. Memorial Day the hours are 10am – 2pm. One of nine district schools established, in the years following Eliot’s split from Kittery in 1810, the building was in use from 1841-1912. For many years it was one of the largest districts. Following its close as a school it was used at the meeting place for the “Eliot Country Club” whose card parties are well remembered by the elders of the town, a fire station, meeting hall for the Eliot Baseball team, storage for Eliot Civil Defense and storage for the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery and Lion’s Club before being turned over to the Historical Society in 1996. This restored schoolhouse is the only such former one room school house building in Eliot that has not lost its original features. On display are items and pictures from the Historical Society collections focusing on Eliot’s school history and the history of the town. The Schoolhouse is located off State Road, at 67 Greenwood Street, across from the Mount Pleasant Cemetery. Look for the signs! For more information: 207-752-0174
June 4, 2018 MEETING
7:00 pm at the John F. Hill Grange Hall
1412 State Road
Wedding Bells are ringing as members are encouraged to bring their wedding pictures and to come prepared to share with the membership anything they wish to tell about their weddings, engagements, or courtships.
The program is FREE and refreshments will be served.